The Woodlands is a master-planned community and located north-west of the Houston metropolitan area. According to the 2010 census, The Woodlands’ population rose by 68.6% to 93,847. Much of The Woodlands is located in the city of Houston’s extraterritorial jurisdiction but small portions of the development extend into Shenandoah and Conroe.
In 1974 – 1975 George P. Mitchell developed The Woodlands, with the intent of incorporating all the amenities a small town provides. The master plan for the community called for preserving trees, protecting the environment, minimizing flooding and creating a pleasant urban environment.
Though it began as a suburban development and a bedroom community, it also has attracted corporations, grocery stores, churches, parks, art galleries, and a charming town square to the area.
The Woodlands Town Center area includes shopping and eating facilities, plus a waterway resembling the San Antonio River Walk, yet unique in its design and Riverboats that are enclosed for added comfort.
Absolutely everything that a “HOMETOWN” would provide tucked in the woods.
As a result, The Woodlands township features several corporate campuses. Most notably the new ExxonMobil campus which opened in the latter part of 2014, and will ultimately house 8,000 employees on it’s 385 acre site. In addition Chevron Phillips, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, Baker Hughes, CB&I, US Oncology, Hewitt Associates, Maersk Line, Safmarine and numerous other companies call “The Woodlands” home. “The Woodlands” now ranks as among the top 3 Hometown Developments in the United States, and is highly sought after as a home and/or workplace.”
The Woodlands ‘Crown Jewel’ is the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion.
Surrounded by a lush forest, The Pavilion is an outdoor amphitheater that provides the Greater Houston region with an array of performing arts and contemporary entertainment in a setting of unparalleled beauty.
It presents approximately 75 events every March through November and has earned praise from both artists and audiences.
Past performers at The Pavilion have included Houston’s own internationally acclaimed performing arts organizations – the Houston Symphony, Houston Ballet and Houston Grand Opera – as well as popular touring artists such as Frank Sinatra, Bette Midler, Van Halen, Tina Turner, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Britney Spears, Clint Black and Cher, among others.
The Woodlands Waterway will eventually be more than 1/2 mile long, reaching from The Woodlands Mall around to Lake Woodlands and featuring wide, lighted sidewalks along both sides and Waterway Taxis. Additional attractions include Market Street, an old style “Main Street” pedestrian shopping district, home to a movie theater and a variety of shops and restaurants. The Woodlands Mall borders the waterway and is adjacent to Market Street, thus forming a large pedestrian friendly shopping district. In addition, each of the “villages” in The Woodlands has its own shopping center with a core grocery store and various shops, banks, gas stations, and restaurants.
You can research our MLS listings here…
You can research our Neighborhoods here….
You can visit our interactive map here….
Most schools in The Woodlands have the honored rank of an exemplary school, the highest possible school ranking in Texas.
The Woodlands’s school rating is based on its public schools’ test results; 10 is best.
Most students in the Montgomery County-portion of The Woodlands attend schools in the Conroe Independent School District.
Children residing in the May Valley neighborhood in Sterling Ridge Village attend schools in the Magnolia Independent School District.
Children from the Creekside Park Village in Harris County attend the Tomball Independent School District. Most schools in The Woodlands have the honored rank of an exemplary school, the highest possible school ranking in Texas.
Primary and Secondary Schools
The Woodlands High School serves the south western portion of The Woodlands in Montgomery County. The Woodlands High School was ranked 760 on Newsweek’s 2007 list of the 1000 Best High Schools in America.
The Woodlands College Park High School, which opened in 2005, is a second high school serving the north eastern portion of The Woodlands in Montgomery County.
Magnolia High School serves pupils residing in the neighborhood of May Valley.
Tomball High School serves pupils residing inside the Harris County portion of the township.
Junior High Schools
Montgomery County: Knox Junior High School, McCullough Junior High School, Bear Branch Junior High School
Harris County: Tomball Junior High School
Colleges and Universities
Lone Star College (originally the North Harris Montgomery Community College District) serves the community.
Organized into “villages” which are further subdivided into “neighborhoods.”
- Village of Alden Bridge: Northwest corner of development. Bordered by FM 2978 on the West and FM 1488 and the Jones State Forest on the North).
- Village of Cochran’s Crossing: location of The Woodlands High School.
- Village of College Park: location of Lone Star College. This village includes the area around State Highway 242 and the Harper’s Landing neighborhood east of I-45.
- Village of Creekside Park: The last new village development to be undertaken by The Woodlands Development Company.
- Village of Grogan’s Mill: The Woodlands’ first neighborhood. Located near the Town Center.
- Village of Indian Springs: The smallest of the villages, it lies on the northern border of Spring Creek.
- Village of Panther Creek: The Woodlands’ second neighborhood. Borders the west shore of Lake Woodlands.
- Village of Sterling Ridge: location of The Woodlands High School Ninth Grade Campus. Includes the gated community of Carlton Woods, which initially existed as a village in its own right.
- Town Center: a primarily commercial development. Location of Market Street, The Waterway District, The Woodlands Mall and The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, along with hotels and a convention center (formerly known as “Metro Center”).
- Grogans Point – An estate section within the Village of Grogans Mill. Features larger lots (approx 3/4 acre)
- If you have any questions, please be sure to contact me. I know your time is important. I will reply to you promptly.